Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Current Events Round-up: Commercial Appeal

A few quick thoughts on some recent current events, just to purge them from my head:

The Presidential Elections: Anybody that things any of the candidates, Republican or Democrat, is running for the good of the country is really naive -- and probably hasn't watched enough Prison Break. Running for President of the United States, the so-called most powerful position in the world, is the most selfish endeavor in the world. Otherwise, it wouldn't be American. So, when you're voting, you're criteria should essentially be, "Whose subversive agenda is going to screw me least?"

Heath Ledger: Shortly after Ledger's death, and I mean before his body was even exhumed from Mary Kate's the apartment, friends were calling and e-mailing me regarding his highly publicized role in The Dark Knight, wondering if all of his footage was in the can. While the next Batman film certainly does affect me personally, what cuts most deeply is the subtext I keep seeing under his name in rags like People: "Health Ledger, 1979-2008." I'm basically a poison-tipped arrow away from the same byline. I usually assume that successful actors are simply older than me, but the older I get, the closer I come to actually saying things like "Young Hollywood" and not equating myself to that generation. In more ways than one, the joke's on us.

Superbowl XLII: The Superbowl does exactly two things for polite society -- requires us to remember how to use Roman numerals properly, and offers us the best commercial breaks of the year. This year -- worst commercials ever. Absolutely nothing memorable, except for the Iron Man commercial, the footage of which I'll see in May anyway. I guess Taco Bell will have to wait another 365 days to try to lure me in again.

No comments: